2011

This is our wild adventure!

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Before the New Year begins....

I should take a moment to express gratitude for 2012.  It was a very good year and I learned a lot.  Elder Holland reminded us in his November visit to So. Africa that "if we are true disciples, we will do hard things.  It was never intended to be easy for us - it wasn't for Him.  There was no easy way through the Garden of Gethsemane.  Salvation has to come through the Garden of Gethsemane; wrenching, demanding, powerful, sobering."

 Elder Holland quoted a French poem:
"Come to the edge" he said.
"No, I'll fall."
"Come to the edge" he repeated.
"No, I'll fall."
"Come to the edge" he asked once more.
"So I came to the edge and he pushed me...
And I flew."

"We all have the chance to embrace the Lord and fly," said Elder Holland.
I'm not sure if I have done the very hardest things I'll ever have to do in this life but I have learned that I cannot do hard things alone.  I need God's help and I rely on it to get me through each day.  I am a weak person but have learned the lesson that when I truly humble myself and lean on His atoning gift, I can do better than if I do it alone. This has been a year of learning for me.

Elder Holland's visit was wonderful.  We took part in many private and public meetings with him.  We learned from him and enjoyed his wit and teachings.  Elder Whitney and Sister Kathy Clayton accompanied Elder Holland and it was nice to get reacquainted with them too. They were all very nice and fun to be around.



Arrival dinner at home with Elder Holland, Elder and Sister Cook, Elder and Sister Soares, Elder and Sister Whitney Clayton, Elder and Sister Renlund.


Greeting the Area Office staff and missionaries. 

 They were always happy and willing to greet or shake more hands.


Claytons, missionaries: David and Pam Larsen and Elder Holland





The Area had a wonderful Public Affairs event where we introduced the church website to the local media. 








December was packed full of events and activities.  Some of the Sr. Missionaries went together to Brett's home where he has a small sewing factory set up to make So. African treasures.


FHE found us enjoying a Sr. missionary picnic at the Joburg Botanical Gardens.












_______________

Sister Renlund gave a lovely tea for our author friend who wrote the So. African Christmas book.  The Sr. Sisters were all invited.

            
                       Sister Renlund and Sister Curtis






I loved Ruth's beautiful table and the food was to die for!

Tea
Scones
Cucumber Sandwiches
Strawberries
Clotted Cream


YUM!!!



 








 




Most of Jeff's office enjoyed a nice Christmas lunch at Mike's Kitchen  (we missed the Andersons).

 



 Our YW closing social was a fun Saturday.  Many of the YW had already gone "home" as they say - going to their homeland for the holiday.  Most of So. Africa leaves the area for about a month starting in mid-December and returns in January.  I was disappointed that many of the YW did not attend because we had such a nice time.    
They started out doing baptisms at the temple early on Saturday morning then walked over to our house for a Braai - (bbq) 
Some other girls straggled in later and I wished they were all there for the picture with the Renlunds.
 
 Elder and Sister Renlund took precious time to teach and visit with the girls.  Sister Renlund taught an appropriate song "If the Savior Stood Beside Me" (with the beautiful picture of the Savior hanging just above them) and she taught about the love of our Savior for each of us.



Elder Renlund taught about having the Holy Ghost to guide us and being our constant companion.


















I spoke about using the scriptures as a guide in our lives.
  Each girl was given a new set of scriptures, marking pencil and PRO items (pray, read, obey).  Alexis, Olivia and Liz Sterling, from our home ward in Bountiful, contributed a lot of hard-earned money to help our YW each receive a beautiful new set of scriptures to read and study.  They not only sent money but also their written testimonies of the Book of Mormon.  My girls could not have been more thrilled with the brand NEW scriptures that will bless their lives.  They were so pleased and grateful!




Elder and Sister Soares popped in at our Braai too. Lucky girls to be greeted by 2 General Authorities.

 
 
Besides LOTS of meat at the Braai (steak, pork chops, lamb and sausage) we had traditional African foods, pap, beans and chuck-a-lucka.  I asked the girls to try using the utensils to eat.  They did and are learning proper table manners.  I appreciate that effort.



 The girls ate and ate and ate!  Jeff, as always, was a great chef at the grill.


















Jabu and Lolo - with Joburg in the background.

We will all miss Jabu as she moves into YSA (especially me).  She has been such a strength to everyone and is a natural leader.  I really love this girl and wish her happiness always!





Lolo, Glory and Jabu looking at their new scriptures.
 ________________________
 One last 2012 Africa event was our Christmas Area Devotional.  There was a great program for the entire office and Elder Soares was the keynote speaker.  Elder Renlund shocked everyone with the announcement that Elder Soares was now released from the Area Presidency and would begin service in the Presidency of the Seventy in January.  We were saddened by the news that our upstairs neighbors will be leaving us so soon.  We will miss them!


 Sisters Taylor and Naylor  - Sr. Sister Companions

























Jeff, Matthew and Lee Herbert, Georges and Carolyn Bonnet, David and Leigh Ann Bowman




                       Merry Christmas to all!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Lucky (blessed) people to have so many wonderful people around -- including you guys...and Elder Holland! Wow! I read this and think - Marge can do everything. I just don't know if I could do near what you do but I thank you for your example! Love you!

    ReplyDelete