The Jamesons (mission president Brent and wife Lorraine), graciously hosted us while visiting. With their very busy schedules, they "showed us the ropes" in the heart of Africa. We never started swinging from trees but there were times when we thought we might see others doing so.
It is duly noted that pictures are generally not allowed in the Congo. Twice, I took pictures openly and regretted it immediately. One time we ventured into a market area just adjacent to our church on the main highway. We were with a group of Senior missionary couples and people were staring at us but being sort of friendly too. I pulled out my camera and some of the big, LOUD men started screaming at me and shaking their arms and fingers at me. We casually turned around and high-tailed it back to the church. (won't be doing that again) At least they were not police and I did not get thrown in jail!!!
Arrival in the DR Congo is unique. The airport brings to mind a Humphrey Bogart film of the 1940's. It is not up-to-date or modern in any sense of the word - in fact, it seems to be in decay. After waiting for our passport approvals at a Jeffrey Travel lounge at the airport for about an hour, we got our first thrill adventure ride on the road into Kinshasa.
This picture gives a good view of how muddy and dirty the street is. Currently, the government is trying to pave the street which is about 10 or 15 kilometers long. They are also taking down many of the vendors on the street. The mud here is an example of a place where there were recently many people selling their goods. We watched one area where this was happening. The bulldozers move into the area where guards, with guns, hold the people back. People scurry around trying to salvage anything they can. There are follow-up crews that come and pile all the garbage and refuse into big piles and though we didn't see it, we assume that they come along again and haul the junk away in order to work on the road. The people have been given warnings to leave and we saw lots of them gathering up their belongings to re-locate.
MOVING DAY
People carry everything on their heads, babies on their backs and packages in their arms. I have never seen anyone drop something off their head and I'm always amazed and their great balance.
The road is rough and dirty. We learned that there will be visitors from other countries coming and the government wants to give dignitaries a good impression of Kinshasa as they arrive in the city.
On a brighter note...
We were delighted to see the couples when we all went to get ice cream on our first evening in Kinshasa. The ice cream store was up-to-date but more importantly, the ice cream was delish! It happened to be my birthday and I admit, I never dreamed that I would be celebrating a birthday one day in the DR Congo!
When Jeff and Sr. Elders worked a few morning hours the following day, some of the Sisters and I went to visit a craft market and a fabric market. Both places were fun and amazing. I was able to get a few pictures at the craft market because I bought things and then asked them if I could take their pictures. Many said no and others allowed a few photos.
This is Kuba cloth (maybe spelled with a C??) and is made from burlap. It is very typical Congolese and cannot be washed.
There were a lot of old, authentic and some newly carved (probably not so authentic) African masks.
Besides buying artifacts at the Craft Market you can also find yourself a game of checkers - or get a haircut (why not?)
- or have some "refreshments under a canopy....
or buy art... or bales of charcoal to keep your family warm.
This Craft Market is very diverse and interesting.
I wish I could have taken more photos at the fabric market but when I tried to do so, people screamed at me and covered their faces! I bought a few pieces of Congolese fabric which are very nice. I was not brave enough to buy the big, bold types but next time, I'll know what to plan for with the thought of making a couple of real African dresses for the costume closet.
One of our main purposes for this trip was for Jeff to hold an Annual General Meeting for the church in Brazzaville which is across the Congo River (5th largest river in the world) in the Republic of Congo. This is the annual meeting which is necessary to make sure that the church is legally registered. Many countries in Africa require this to take place. We had quite the experience getting across and our eyes bugged out when we saw the conditions at the dock and on the boats. Security was very high including police with guns and big sticks and everyone was yelling and screaming at each other. I was very careful to not offend with my little camera!
No words describe the sites, sounds and smells!
Lest anyone feel too sorry for us - thinking that we are somewhere underneath those piles of people - we hired a small boat to take us across the river. You haven't lived till you feel that Congo air blowing in your face and get a mouthful of Congo River water!!! (I'm not joking) The water is filthy, murky, full of disease, garbage, animals excrement, people bathing, washing, using the bathroom and any other unclean practice imaginable. It was reported that after the recent election in the DR Congo, one of the problems that resulted from discord was that people were being killed and thrown in this river too. Being in a smaller boat did not make this the perfect boat ride!
We had a very nice meeting immediately after arriving at this lovely little chapel in Brazzaville. Jeff got part of his church/legal work taken care of.
These are the homes and families who live right across the street from the church. The children were playing and they were starting a small fire - probably to cook dinner.
This is her home and family. Her dad came out and yelled at me to not take their pictures.
This is a table of charcoal which this family sells for support. It is just a few steps away from the church on a narrow street.
Everyone pitches in and helps out in the family. This may be one family, an extended family or many families who live here.
Suffice it to say that by the time we got to our clean hotel and put the day behind us and after we ordered a room service omelet (which we could barely eat), we called it a day!
Some of Brazzaville is nice and here are some sites around town...
I know it is tempting and you think this must be Paris....
This is a table of charcoal which this family sells for support. It is just a few steps away from the church on a narrow street.
Everyone pitches in and helps out in the family. This may be one family, an extended family or many families who live here.
Suffice it to say that by the time we got to our clean hotel and put the day behind us and after we ordered a room service omelet (which we could barely eat), we called it a day!
Some of Brazzaville is nice and here are some sites around town...
I know it is tempting and you think this must be Paris....
Marge, next time you go to those fabric markets, buy, buy, buy:) Wow, that would be so fun. (I know, it's africa and to get where you were would be incredibly difficult. But I would love to have been there with you.) Anyway, incredible blog, don't keep taking your life into your hands with taking pictures, but thanks for the ones you shared. It's amazing how different this world is.
ReplyDeletewow. I'm with Anne, buy that fabric! I want some! Amazing pictures. Life changing experiences for you guys, that's for sure.
ReplyDelete